After departing Western Australia in late September 2016 we have experienced so much and here is a recap. From the first few days camping in the rain in our swag and trying to cook toast in the laundry of the caravan park to dry red dirt and the 90 mile straight across the Nullarbor. We saw the cliffs along the Great Australian Bight and whales frolicking along the coast before being sent off-road down a dirt track to Fowler’s Bay. A bay, jetty, sand dunes and a tiny town made an impact as we secured the final spot in the caravan park and enjoyed a group meal around the campfire.

We drove past the Flinders ranges in South Australia and enjoyed seeing the city of Adelaide before heading into outback Victoria and New South Wales. We dodged the floods and managed to be a day or 2 in front or behind the wild weather. We got to drive around the track at Bathurst which made every day we spent wrapping the car all worth it. After being sent off-road again (perhaps we shouldn’t have trusted google maps as much as we did) we found ourselves on dirt tracks with cows wandering the road and even a water crossing. Luckily they mustn’t have had much rain as it was quite low.

We got caught in Byron Bay on a long weekend and were confronted by the crowds but settled into the vibe of Byron by sitting on the beach watching the sun setting whilst locals played music to the crowds enjoying food and drinks on the lawns. As we ventured further north into Queensland we caught up with family and celebrated a 60th birthday and enjoyed a good week in a house on the canals with a real bed and bathroom – pure luxury after the swag and camp bathrooms.

We were then heading south and past through so many towns with things like the big prawn, big banana, big cherry, huge ram and more. Before long we had made it to Sydney and it sure was busy there. Fortunate to be able to stay with family we were right in the action of it all. We enjoy seeing the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Luna Park in addition to all the great food they had to offer. I was down right excited to see Bondi Beach and the Grounds of Alexandria before we found ourselves in the countries capital of Canberra.

We wandered around Parliament House and found the ACT to be very quiet overall. Back on the road we ventured down to Wangaratta and went out for dinner before a wet night in the swag. The final stretch south was to overnight in Melbourne and wander around the shops a little. A very enjoyable meal at an Italian restaurant and a fun birthday visiting some shops and eating good food before we boarded the Spirit of Tasmania.

We were so excited to finally be taking this step and making it to Tasmania after all the talk and the thousands of kilometres we had driven we were finally here. Now it was time to start setting up a new life with jobs, a house and unpacking all that furniture we had packed in a container in the yard. That it the story so far…..